Sunday, March 11, 2012

Lightning


Lightning Picture
©JP Parmley

The most common question I get on my lightning pictures is about how was I quick enough to catch the shot.  In actuality it is not about being quick with the shutter, it is about being just the opposite.  Almost all of my shots are taken at 16-20 second exposures.  During that time, what ever lightning took place, ends up in the shot.   If you have 2 strikes at different times within the shot, both end up in the picture as if they happened simultaneously. 

So what are the details assuming that you are shooting at night.   I shoot from the safety of a typical home. Do not attempt to take storm and lightning pics from the outside.   Also, you do not want to be near the windows during a storm so always set up your camera well in advance of an approaching storm.  Place the camera on a sturdy tripod in a window that is not facing the oncoming storm.  I typically use a window facing  the north east.  This is important because a window that faces the oncoming storm is very likely to have rain all over it, leaving raindrop spots all over your pictures. Here are pictures of how I set it up.  Notice that I have the rear leg longer than the two front ones to move the camera as close to the window.  Do you see the reflection in the glass?  If you don't turn off ALL the lights in the house when you start shooting, your pictures will show those reflections as well.




Put the camera in a manual mode that allows you to set the shutter, aperture and ISO independently.   I usually start of at 20 second exposures at f16 and an ISO of 200.  Put a wide angle lens (24mm or less) in manual focus and focus it just short of an infinite distance.  Most cameras have the ability for you to set it for either a single shot or continuous shooting.  Use the continuous setting.  One of the keys to making this easy and safe is to use a shutter release device.  I use a wired release cord that allows you to lock the button down.  This simulates you holding the shutter release on the camera as if you were taken multiple shots one after the other.  This allows the camera to continuously take pictures without you having to be right by the window to take the next shot.

If you take 100 shots during a storm, 95% of the images will be a pure black screen.  That is ok....delete them.   The 5% that included a lightning shot will be lit up just perfectly.  Most of the cloud to cloud lightning will not produce enough light to illuminate the picture, but the ground strikes will jump off the screen. 

My opinion is to shoot in a RAW format if your camera supports it.  You are going to post process these in Photoshop or Lightroom anyways so take advantage of getting all the possible data. 

My next post will cover the post processing that I perform......hint, it is not much.

Email me the pictures you get and I will post them here and on the Facebook page.

My images taken on: Canon 5D Mark II, 16-35MM 2.8L Lens, Canon RS-80N3 release cord

JP










No comments:

Post a Comment