Sunday, January 26, 2014

The Power of Off-Camera Flash

©JP Parmley

I took this image on Jan 11, 2014,  our first wedding of the new year.  It shows the power of using off-camera flash.  After posing the bride how I wanted her, an off camera right 580 Speedlight at 1/64th power was shot through a white umbrella.  I had an additional 580 Speedlight on the camera with a white cap diffuser pointing straight up. 

Because the old wooden ceiling was about 20' high, I had it set at 1/2 power.  The diffuser allowed me to throw some light forward, filling the shadow on her face created by the off-camera flash.  If the ceiling had been lower and drywall, I would have probably only need about 1/16 or 1/32 power.  I used a set of Pocket Wizards to remotely fire the off-camera flash.  You can notice the two catch lights in her eyes.  The larger one is from the umbrella and the smaller one is from the front of the on-camera flash diffuser.

The image was shot on a Canon 5D Mark III, ISO 400, f 4.5, 1/80th.

If you have not started using or experimenting with off-camera flash, you should start.  It can add an extra dimension that direct flash just can't provide.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment